Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 13 & 14

Things are really heating up on the school front as we get to the end, hopefully everyone is getting enough sleep;)

Week 13:
We watched "The Story of Stuff" which is definitely bias but Annie Leonard certainly is taking a stand and I admire her for that. On Thurs. went to the bagley nature area to do some navigation skills. We learned to put the red in the shed and follow Fred on our compasses. This was a pretty fun activity as I like the outdoors and had never been taught that before.

Week 14: We listened to Brian talk about his job with AmeriCorps and how it's related to the environment. We had to write an Advocacy Project: Letter to Public Official this was interesting as I've read lots of letters to the editor but have never written one nor had I written a letter to a public official. On Thursday we did a re-purpose activity, this was pretty fun and many class-mates had some great creative ideas. It seems like just about anything can be a candle holder!!

What I learned about myself:
Learned that I am now on-board with the concept of global warming, as twice in the last two weeks I've told someone to watch Al Gore and 'An Inconvenient Truth' because they told me they didn't believe in global warming.

The environment:

From the Story of Stuff how destructive we are being to other parts of the world not keeping it to our own continent.

Blogging:
Not learning much about blogging, but getting more efficient.

4 comments:

  1. That is true that to us everything was a possible candle holder. It was quite refreshing to be able to think of ways to turn junk into a new tool/useful object. And I too am a big believer in the global warming issue. If we are raising the green house gases of course the sun's energy cannot escape and we are trapping in heat energy.

    The part you mention with the Bagley nature area was a fun activity. It reminded me of being a cub scout again and going to scout camp. Compasses and map directions were my specialty, we would always get lost as kids and I would always find out way back. Good times

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek-

    Thiongs are for sure heating up outside.. soon we wont be in a class room looking out the window :) I thought the story of stuff was an eye opener. It really shows how one thing really affects the other and its a continuos cycle. We are the primary factor the environment is changing, for the better and for the worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the story of stuff it was a real eye opener.
    I also enjoyed going outside..wish we could do that everyday! Last couple classes are wrapping up I'm getting really excited!

    ReplyDelete

Green Comments Here