Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group


L'ORéAL Studio Line Head Lock, Mega Hard Hold Gel, Extreme Hold

Ingredients in this product are linked to:
yesCancer
yesDevelopmental/reproductive toxicity
yesViolations, restrictions & warnings
yesAllergies/immunotoxicity
yesOther concerns for ingredients used in this product:
Neurotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Miscellaneous, Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Enhanced skin absorption, Contamination concerns, Occupational hazards, Biochemical or cellular level changes
Information taken from the Environmental Working Group website

OK, so this is my hair product WOW!! Good thing that I don't really use it too often, as you probably can tell!
It is rated a 9 out of 10 which is considered HIGH Hazard. The ratings on this website go like this 0-2 low hazard, 3-6 moderate hazard, and 7-10 high hazard.

I may look for another product to use since the website tells me that 98% of styling gel/lotions have lower concerns so I'm sure there is a healthier one out there for me.

Yes this product Conducts animal testing

I don't know if there could be anything else bad about this product. I'm sure I bought it because it was cheap.

Immunotoxicity
Neurotoxicity

5 comments:

  1. Mega Hold Derek? Thats probably why your hair looks so good all the time! haha This website is interesting, I feel like I could look up everything I use and see how bad it is. My product too, Lady's Speed Stick does animal testing. I didn't think it was as common as it used to be. I guess I was wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek...Mega Hold very nice! this post made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I liked the Mega Hold as well..I'm all about the cheap stuff, I usually don't think about the cancerous things in my hair products. I just figure as long as I'm not eating something thats not supposed to be I'll be fine (haha) but apparently that's not that case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Derek,

    This is a scary thought that your hair gel is considered so dangerous. To think that this dangerous material is put on your head. That is a fact that just might keep me from using the product. I hope you don't get any ill effects from this product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that I don't use a lot of extra cosmetic products because they seem to te quite bad for the environment. This site makes me really want to keep with just the basics.

    ReplyDelete

Green Comments Here