Friday, February 6, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint

6.67 planets, that was my Ecological Footprint. The second time I found my Ecological Footprint on a different website, I received a 4.6 planet rating, which for those of you that haven't done a quiz yet means that it would take 6.67 planets or 4.6 planets to live on if everyone lived like I do!! The quiz's don't like the fact that I drive a full size pick-up. The other factor that I found to be over the average for American's was my house. This is despite the fact that we use fluorescent light bulbs where possible, it needs to be said that our house is fairly new. I say that because we have a very high r-value when it comes to our insulation including our doors and windows. We were sure to use low flow faucets and shower heads, we have in-floor heat, energy star washer and dryer, dishwasher and refrigerator's. We haven't had a chance to landscape yet, that will come in the spring. We recycle, but we don't compost, I will have to make a place to do that too when spring comes around. Maybe I should do that now, I'll get on that when I get a break from blogging:) I feel guilty right now seeing that my Ecological Footprint is so big.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Derek,

    I was surprised to see that my footprint was around the "3 earths" range but it is probably lower than yours because of having a Grand Am as a vehicle, living with 5 other girls in an older house and spending money only on the necessities... Once I graduate, have a family and build my own house it'll be interesting to see how my "earths" go up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the link to the explanation of the r-value. If you decide to do a compost project, keep us posted! (If you can pull yourself away from your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it crazy how many planets we potentially take up?! That was so crazy to me. My parents have one of those energy star washers and it's amazing compared to my tiny washer that never works! Good luck with the compost project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The R-Value link was good for me to see as my room back home is getting gutted out as it has mold everywhere. The insulation and protection in my room back home is unbarable. Good thing that link lets me read up on insulation, of which can help save on heat conservation.

    6 2/3 earths vs. 4.6 earths is a big difference from the two quizzes. I wonder how their equations to calculate how many earths you use differs. We as a human race should watch our intake of natural resources. I am glad to have done the Ecological footprint quiz; it wakes up your eyes to how much impact we can have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6.61 planets Derek, maybe it has something to do with that SUV you drive like you mentioned (haha). By the looks of things you are doing your part in some departments by trying to stay earth-friendly. I feel like these resources that make our planet ratings go up are things that we feel are essential for living. I know my power and heat bill this winter was much higher than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I would like to do if I built a new house is use solar pannels. I think I would use a lot of insulation too. I think the reason my nubers are lower is because I live in a tiny apartment. I also drive a preatty small car and a motorcycle in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Green Comments Here